Saturday, January 22, 2011

A few furniture projects…

This week I have been on a furniture painting kick!  Hayden has been sickly all week so we have had a lot of at-home time.  I have taken advantage of any free time to complete a few projects. 

If you remember, I bought this table for $1.50 at Good Samaritans last August.  It has been in storage for the past five months just waiting for a makeover. 

DSC_0845

So, I did a little sanding…

DSC_0878

And a little priming with Kilz.  (Definitely my least favorite part!)

DSC_0879

Put on a couple of coats of Sherwin Williams Antique White…

DSC_0887

Applied my new favorite glaze…Valspar Antiquing Glaze

DSC_0901

Did some wiping and got my hands a little dirty too! (I don’t like using gloves.  I guess that is obvious.)

DSC_0905

Did a little sanding to rough it up a little.

DSC_0917 

Worried about some of the smudges.  Then decided it was ok! 

DSC_0907

Ta-Da!  I L-O-V-E  it!  The best part… I had all the paint and materials.  So, this table cost me $1.50.  

DSC_0914

I worked on this side table for the extra bedroom…

DSC_0876

I used a combo glaze for this one.  I added the Antiquing Glaze, Mocha Glaze and a little stain I had on hand.  

 DSC_0884

Not an exact amount of any of them.  Just a little of each.

DSC_0885DSC_0889 

I brush on the glaze and use a t-shirt rag to wipe it off. 

DSC_0890DSC_0891  DSC_0895DSC_0892 

Ta-Da!

DSC_0909 DSC_0913

I also redid this other side table and I have put it in our bathroom for now.  I am not sure it will stay there.  :-)

DSC_0943

I don’t feel like the pictures accurately depict the true-life color. But, they give you a general idea.  The antiquing glaze gives a black tone.  The other combination gives a brown tone.  I can tell you that I do not like the Mocha glaze by itself.  The color is very orangey looking.   That is why I like to mix it with the other antiquing glaze and stain. 

My friend Lisa taught me how to antique using watered down paint a long time ago when she helped me re-do my cabinets in my first house.  I have done several projects over time and have come a long way.  :-)  I am certainly no expert…not even close.  Just a hobby I enjoy!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

So there are my side tables! I wondered where they were. I knew you had the oval one, but forgot about the straight edge one. lol

Sharon said...

ps...you did a good job on them. I am anxious to see them. Love, Mom

Marla said...

Well everything looks great! I've never done anything like that and it makes me want to go re-finish something!

Kelly said...

Good job friend! Looking good!

Taren said...

Dang! You did good! :)

Jamie said...

This is a hobby I love, too! I have 2 end tables that need my attention but they are attention deprived when they have to share it with two little boys. I'm going to get it done, soon, though....I hope! :)

The Barner Bunch said...

Ughhh, I'm jealous. I want to do some fun projects soon. If only my house would sell!!!
When (and if) it does...I want you to help me shop and decorate!!!