Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Home Tour {Hayden’s Room}

Finally!  Hayden’s room!  I started this post quite some time ago and lost everything I had typed, so it took a little while to get motivated to do it again.  ;-)   

When we built the house the first time, I had a really hard time deciding what I wanted to do in his room.  I didn’t want to make it “baby” because he was going to be 8 months old when we moved in, but I didn’t want it big boy quite yet either.  Anyway, I ended up doing a chair rail and painting his room blue and brown.  It was pretty neutral.  Never really loved it.  I don’t really have any pictures of his room before.  :-( 

But, this time around is a different story!  Since he was already going to be a year and half old when we moved back in, I felt a little better about it being more of a “big boy” room.   Hayden’s room is still a work in progress, but I love how it has turned out so far!  I guess you would call it a “collections themed room”.  He has many different collections of things in there. :-)

When I started looking and gathering ideas for Hayden’s room, Jen and Amy had both sent me pictures of alphabet walls.  You can go here and here to see a couple I used as inspiration.  I had also seen this letter collection that I liked.  So, immediately, the hunt was on!  I started with his spelling his name with old channel letters that I found at Canton and Junkadoodle.

DSC_0804

I had also seen a picture from a Land of Nod catalog that had a wall shelf with old trucks on it.  I fell in love with it too!  So, the hunt was on for them as well!  I found Hayden’s old trucks at Canton, garage sales, Junkadoodle, and antique shops.  The old-looking police car in the middle is from Hobby Lobby.  It is the only one that isn’t really “old”. 

 DSC_0794

And now the alphabet wall.  Whew!  This was quite the task!  But, I am so in love with it!!  The hunt for the letters was an obsession and almost a daily occurrence!  I didn’t know what I would do with myself after I found all the letters.  I was almost a little sad.  :-)  Luckily I had some help.  Jen was here for a lot of the summer and I drug her along many days to look for letters.  I am pretty sure she didn’t mind too much.  We kind of like that thing.  Huntin’ for junk!  Cindy (Jen’s Momma) helped me so much too!  She found several of the letters for me at Market.  I have complied a list of where I found each letter below if you are interested.  Oh, and don’t mind Hayden’s nightlight in the middle of the alphabet wall.  We keep it there so he doesn’t bother it.  And yes, we have a tv jack and plug in the middle of the wall just in case we ever want to mount a tv there in 16 years when he is big enough for a tv in his room.  Ha! 

DSC_0797

I am going to do a separate post about how we Jen got those letters on the wall! 

DSC_0807

A side view…

DSC_0800

Mom made this curtain for me out of material I found at Ikea.  But, I recently took it down.  Just too circus looking for me.  My fault.  Now, there is nothing there.  With the time change and Hayden going to bed before dark, I may have to find something else to go up there.

DSC_0805

I also recently added this sign  that I got at LaurieAnna’s to that blank wall.   Our vision is to make Hayden a large chalkboard to go underneath this sign.  Or a place to hang artwork.  Either way, I loved this sign! 

DSC_0389

I love his book shelf!!!  We got it, where else? Canton! 

DSC_0793

The book shelf has A LOT of stuff on it.  Could be a little on the junky side, but I like it that way.  :-) 

DSC_0785

I absolutely love his 1,2,3 baskets I got from Ikea.  They are very light weight and easy for Hayden to get on and off the shelf.  They are great for sorting toys and have held together GREAT! 

DSC_0786

ABC picture…Target.  Old newspaper press letters…Canton and Etsy.

 DSC_0789

DSC_0791

A lot of times you find these trucks in places like this…Hayden likes them there.  :-)

DSC_0385

DSC_0388

I am going to get a canvas made of one of these pictures to add to his room.  I will probably take that alphabet picture above his book shelf down and put it there.  Don’t you think it would just go perfectly?  Now to decide which one!

_MG_8981 - Copy _MG_8975 - Copy _MG_8977

And just for kicks…here is his closet.  I found these old golf cart baskets at Canton too for super cheap!  I loved them when I saw them, but didn’t know where I would use them.  We tried to hang/stack them on the wall by his bookshelf but they just didn’t hang right.  So, three of them fit perfect on his shelf in his closet.

DSC_0812

In case you are interested, here is where (I think) each letter on the alphabet wall was found…

A-Junk Part of Canton (Silver outside, black and white polka dot inside)

B-Garage Sale (was plain and I painted it orange)

C-Junkadoodle

D-Cindy got it at Market.  Was plain paper mache.  I painted it and added vinyl dots.

E-Hobby Lobby

F-Garage Sale

G-Junkadoodle

H-Ebay (It is a very old marquee letter.  Probably has lead paint on it.  Oh my!)

I-Curiosities

J-Marshalls

K-Garage Sale (Was plain and I painted it green.)

L-Hobby Lobby

M-Junkadoodle

N-Junkadoodle (Very last letter I bought.  I had the hardest time finding that perfect “n”.)

O-Antique shop in downtown McKinney

P-Junkadoodle. 

Q-In Forney at one of the Antique Shops.  IT IS HEAVY!!!

R-Made out license plates.  Got it at Canton.

S-Garage sale.  (Was plain paper mache’ and I painted it red.)

T-Junkadoodle

U-Cindy got at Market.

V-Hobby Lobby

W-Cindy got at Market.  (Was plain paper mache’ and I painted it green.)

X-Online at Pottery Barn Kids.

Y-It is an old plastic marquee letter as well.  Solid plastic though, not painted with lead based paint.  I think.  Got it at Junkadoodle.

Z- Curiosities. 

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Looks GREAT!! Love his room!! You did such an amazing job!!!


For the Canvas... I vote picture #3

The Barner Bunch said...

Love it! His room turned out GREAT!!!! Love the alphabet wall and how you did his NAME! The old trucks are perfect too!!!!

Michelle said...

You don't know me but I found your blog from Lisa Williams. I LOVE the alphabet wall. I'm actually going to steal the idea for my son when he is ready for a big boy room. What a great idea!

Oh and I vote for picture number 1. Love it.

Jamie said...

you did awesome and you should be sooooo proud! Love it all!

Lisa said...

His room is so cute, love it!

Marla said...

I thought I had already commented on this, but I guess the time has gotten from me....but I do LOVE his room. And I think my favorite picture of him that you showed was maybe that first one (I think)....it was the one with him looking to the side and he was leaning on his arms. Anyway- can't say it enough.....love the room and that alphabet wall!

Kelli @ Our Growing Family said...

His room is so cute! You did a great job!
What is the name of the company you bought the book shelf from in Canton? I remember seeing those book shelves a few months ago in Canton and really liking them. Now we need a new book shelf for Jackson's room and I think one of those would look perfect. If you don't mind, will you email me the company name? It seems like I remember them having a website.
jordan8082@sbcglobal.net