Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kitchen Makeover

UPDATE…I have no idea why the pictures are showing up blurry.  They are not blurry until I post them.  Sorry!

Recently, I told you about Jeff and his siblings doing a kitchen make-over for his Mom for Mother’s Day.  It is pretty much complete.  There are a few final touches to make, but I think it all turned out so good!

The before…

DSC_0623 DSC_0624

First order of business…tear down the layers of wallpaper! 

DSC_0621

Tearing down the wallpaper was definitely a challenge!  After trying a few “solutions”, primer was applied and a new wallpaper layer was put up!  The original plan was to do a plaster on the wall and then paint.  Well, the plaster would not stick to the wall because of the wallpaper.  So, we found a paintable wallpaper that looks like it was plastered.  I had not ever seen that before and it worked GREAT!!!! 

DSC_0744 

Then, the painting begins!  DSC_0742

It’s kind of hard to see here, but we put cooper (metal-looking) plastic tiles up for the backsplash.  It turned out GREAT and was sooo easy!!!  It is kind of an expensive project (about $18 a tile), but really looks FABULOUS!  I am thinking that Jeff and I might do this in our kitchen sometime soon!

DSC_0745

Starting to look better!!  I am loving the colors!! 

DSC_0746

I am such a sucker for RED!  I love it!  My FIL was not so excited about having red in their kitchen.  But, he told me today that he really liked how it turned out!!   It really makes the room pop!

After some “coffee” decor, wall vinyl,  and new hardware was put in place…Ta Da! 

DSC_0777

We put a glaze/stain mixture on the cabinet doors and drawers.  We are thinking we will go back and do the actual cabinets as well.  What do you think?

 DSC_0765 DSC_0766 DSC_0767 DSC_0768 DSC_0772DSC_0770DSC_0769 

We are going to take family portraits and add them here…

 DSC_0773

For fun…side by side before and after!

DSC_0623DSC_0777

DSC_0621 DSC_0765

DSC_0624DSC_0769

Corene…I hope you LOVE it!  It was definitely a group effort and I think it looks GREAT!!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

This looks awesome! I think I am going to do the tin looking back splash. I might need Jeff to give me a tutorial when I'm home. :)

Kristin said...

That looks great!!! Good job!!!

The Barner Bunch said...

Wow! That looks incredible! I love it.
I agree with Jennifer about the tin looking back splash. I saw it on a ceiling in a kitchen somewhere and I thought it was GORGEOUS!!!