Friday, August 28, 2009

Bye, Bye Paci, Hello Thumb!

Well, I think it is official. We can trash the paci! Hayden has not ever really loved the paci. He would take it off and on in the beginning, but has slowly been rejecting it. We switched between the soothie and the nuk paci. He won't take either now, especially from me. He has discovered his thumb and likes it much better! I am not sure how I feel about this. I liked the paci for the fact I could remove it or get rid of it when we wanted to. I liked that I could give it to him when I was driving and he was upset. However, he has gotten much better at "self-soothing" since he has discovered his thumb. This has made going to sleep a much smoother process! He really hasn't gotten the grasp of having a blankie, silkie, friend, or whatever you might call it. So, for now, I guess we are stuck with the thumb! Hopefully he won't be a kindergartner still sucking his thumb!



sucking thumb

4 comments:

Jayde said...

My oldest, now a Kindergartner, is a thump sucker! He also carried a blanket (didn't have to be a specific blanket, just had to be one with a tag) up until he turned 5 in July. We made a rule before is birthday that when he turned 5 he had to give up his blanket and he could only suck his thumb at bedtime. He used to sit around and suck it while watching tv or when we were riding in the car but I seldom catch him doing this anymore so it's been a big improvement with very little fuss. Now we may be sucking our thumb at night for a while but well deal with that in a few more months...or years. I remember sucking my thumb so I can't really say much!

Jayde said...

Okay, so I can't type, he sucks his thumb and not a thump, whatever that is.........

The Barner Bunch said...

Uh-oh! I was a thumb sucker, and I have to admit...it was GOOOOOOOD! Matter of fact, I sucked it until I was in 3rd grade. Sad, but true.
That's why I'm dreading the removal process of Barrett's pacifer. I don't want him switching over.

Kelly said...

It could be just because his gums are bothering him and it feels good to him right now. I wouldn't give up on the paci all togather right now. K did this for a while too, however, he has been attached to his blue bear since 2 months and HAS to have him to go to sleep. Good luck friend!