Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Rough Night

Since things were going so great, on Saturday, we decided that it would be the day we would bring home the puppies to meet Hayden. Little did we know that it would be an exciting and LONG night ahead! Around 11:00 or so, Hayden began a three hour bout of crying, screaming, and was simply inconsolable. We went for a midnight car right, tried feeding him, gave him Mylicon, holding him in every way we knew how, and finally, the miracle of the night...the Balboa Sling! We finally got the sling out about 1:00 and he calmed down as I paced the 600 sq ft of living space we have. Then, we decided to get him out and it all started again! Jeff was such a trooper and took over at that point. We again put him in the sling and he fell asleep in it in Jeff's arms until about 3:00 when it was time to feed. Luckily, he went to sleep after eating. Was it colic? Who knows, but it such a helpless feeling!! Anyone who has experience with Colic, we would love any feedback you might have! The poor puppies did great, but didn't have a clue what was going on!

I would definitely recommend the Balboa Sling to any new moms! It is so comfortable and Hayden loves it! We use it daily when we go for walks or simply need to calm Mr. Hayden!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I wish I had some advice for you about colic, but I'm not there yet. I'm glad to know that the Balboa sling is working for you. I have one in the box waiting to be used. :) I hope Mr. Hayden has a better night tonight.

Kelly said...

Oh Honey! We have been there. Kaden cryed like that the first 2-3 weeks home. It was a very irregular pattern and almost always between 11p.m.-3a.m. hours. We tryed Mylicon because my Mom swore it was gas or colic, but it just had to pass. Sometimes, regardless of what you do they scream, and it IS a HELPLESS TERRIBLE feeling. The GOOD news is this. Those boughts of crying will stop after a few weeks and he gets in a schedule (feeding, sleeping, life in general). And, after we started Kaden on formula at 5 weeks, which I am not trying to discourage breast feeding one bit, he never crys. When he does cry now I am able to distinguish gas or hunger or pain now. It will get better, I promise. It is ABSOLUTELY amazing the amount of knowledge you will know about your little guy in just 10 more weeks! We've only had 12 weeks of practice and it is getting better everyday. I know it is terrible when they cry, heart breaking and nerveracking all at the same time. Make sure and call someone (like a grandma or dad) to give you a little breather after a long bought of crying so you don't get to CRAZY! We've all been there, hang in there girl!

P.S. Our dogs felt the same. They just got under our bed and acted like they wamted to cover their ears with their paws! LOL! They are very neglected now, they think!

The Barner Bunch said...

Those nights will come and go! Sounds like you did a great job! I'm proud of you for giving the Mylicon. I think we should have taken stock in that stuff! ha Glad to hear the sling worked out so well! I'm definetly investing in one of those on my next child!!!
Poor puppies. They were probably like..."What in the world did they bring home to us???"

Amanda said...

Aww, poor thing! And poor mommy too! Sometimes there is just nothing you can do. I always stood up and rocked my hips back and forth or swung Ella in different ways to try to soothe her. There were a few times that she just had to cry it out. "This too shall pass!"

The Fenter Funny Farm said...

I had a few nights where Chelsey, Colby and I ALL cried for hours... Hope the next few nights go a little quieter for you and Jeff. Post pics, I'd love to see more!

XOXO,
Pam