Wednesday, January 21, 2009

End of the season deer hunt...well, accident

The last weekend of deer season, Jeff and I had gone to some friends house in Forney. We were in Jeff's big Dodge truck and I was driving us home about 10:45 that evening on I-20 between Terrell and Wills Point. We were driving along and all of a sudden I saw a deer running from the center median toward the highway. All I could do was scream like a girl, because I knew what was about to happen. Sure enough, the deer hit the front fender and drivers side door as I was driving about 70 mph. It was like something from a movie. It seemed like it was in slow motion and there was nothing I could do about it. So, I pulled over in the ditch and tried to get out to assess the damage. Sure enough, I couldn't open my door. So, Jeff checked it out as best we could to make sure the truck was still drivable. It was. So, we backed up to make sure the deer was off the highway and would not cause any more wrecks. What a blessing...it was! I was in the right lane when it hit and the deer landed on the left shoulder.

Luckily we were both ok, just about $3,000 worth of damage to Jeff's truck. I guess you could say I got one last deer for the season, a 6 point, something I hope never happens again.

1 comment:

The Barner Bunch said...

Oh no! I'm so glad you're okay. I would have been FREAKING out!!! You need to stay at home and quit deer hunting. I swear you're crazy...but I love you anyway!
Matt says he is glad you were in Jeff's truck!!!
Sorry about the damages...but at least you, baby, and Jeff are alright.
No more hunting until next year!