Tuesday, November 15, 2011

2nd Weekend at the Deer Lease

Well, after 4 days of hunting hard, I came up short again!  I saw a lot of deer, but no shooters.  Luckily, Jeff killed a nice 9 point during bow season and filled up our freezer, so I can afford to be a little picky. 

It was a good weekend.  Even though I didn’t get anything, we have such a great time out there.  Mostly because there are no worries.  I also take the best naps at the lease! 

Here is our little routine…I wake up about 5:40 AM, get dressed and out the door.  (Jeff and Hayden still snoozing for a while longer.) Hop in the explorer and drive to where I will park to walk the rest of the way to the stand.  I didn’t ever need a flashlight this go around.  That moon was shining bright!  I can say it is a little freaky walking in the dark all alone and all of a sudden a dumb bird flies out of the bush you walked past and you nearly fall on your face because you tripped over a rock trying to get away.  I know, go ahead and laugh.  Then, get in the stand by 6:10 AM or so.  The goal is before the sun starts to come up.  Wait for the feeder to go off around 6:20 or 6:30 AM depending on the stand you are sitting at.  Then, watch for the action!  Sunday morning, I saw NOTHING!!  I stayed there for 4 hours and saw NADA!  So, head back to camp around 9:45 or 10:00AM.  Then, cook up a good breakfast.  Usually biscuits, bacon/sausage, and eggs.  Around noon Hayden and I lay down for a nap!  Jeff usually find something to do (with Dad or one of the other guys on the lease).  Yesterday he went and sat in the stand.  I love nap time at the lease because I don’t feel guilty for taking one because there isn’t work to be done around the house or on the computer. 

After nap time (usually about 2-3 hours later), time to get up, grab a snack, and head out the door for the afternoon hunt.  Hunt from about 3:45-6:15 PM.  Head back to camp and make plans for dinner.  Sometimes we go eat in town (about 20 minutes away).  Sometimes we eat at camp.  Last night we cooked a pizza.  Baths for everyone and then to bed usually by 9:00 PM.   Roughin’ it I tell ya!  See why I love it so much?  :-)

Here is a little peak into what went on this weekend…

Lots of father/son time!  These boys played their little hearts out!  Hayden actually has his own little room in the camper.  It is so nice! 

DSC_0988

We just pick up the pack and play during the day and it turns into a playroom!  :-) 

DSC_0969

DSC_0970

Can’t play all day and not do any work!  :-)

DSC_0976

Jeff brought a bucket of dirt from home so they would have some loose dirt to play with.  Such a good Daddy!

DSC_0974

Play dough!  Hayden’s new love and will entertain him for quite a long time! 

DSC_0986 DSC_0985

He is really working hard on learning those letters too!

DSC_0987

Me and Hayden before an afternoon hunt.  Hayden now says, “Mommy Hunting!”.   I hope he grows up loving to hunt as much as Jeff and I do!  

DSC_0966

Marla, I told Jeff I was going to use this as my “What I Wear Wednesday” blog post since I pretty much wore this for 4 days this week!  ;-)  Hat-Bass Pro, Shirt and Pants-Academy, Snake boots-Bass Pro! 

This afternoon we got home around 4:00 or so.  Jeff was kind of itching to go sit in his bow stand behind the house.  I encouraged him to get out and go have some “him” time since he really didn’t get much this weekend.  Well, next thing I know, he is running back in the house telling me to call mom and see if she can watch Hayden because there is a big buck behind the house and he can’t get close enough with his bow.  He runs Hayden down to Mom and Dads and I change clothes and grab my rifle.  We sneak (a long way) down the pasture toward our feeder.  I was so out of breath.  Not kidding.  Squatting down trying not to be seen, holding my gun, and trying to keep up with his long legs was a work out!  My legs are going to be sore tomorrow, I can already tell.  We would sit and wait and look, then move a little closer.  I felt like I was in the Army or a sniper or something.  Ha!  We finally sat down and waited until dark.  The big buck outsmarted us.  Oh well, it was quite a fun adventure with my  hubby.  Jeff said, “I love you.  I am so glad you enjoy doing things like this with me.  I love that you don’t mind getting dirty and getting  a little cow poop on ya.”  Ha! 

Glad to be home!  We aren’t heading back to the lease for a few weeks.  Hope you are having a good week!

2 comments:

Marla said...

How fun that ya'll do this together and have so much fun!

And, of course, I LOVE your WIWW. Haha!! ;) Too bad I have been slacking for 2 weeks now! ;)

Jennifer said...

There are several favorite parts of this post, but I must comment on the snake boots. I bet if you read that on someone elses WIWW it would mean something completely different!