Monday, November 22, 2010

Our Weekend Away

This past weekend we were able to sneak away for a trip to the deer lease!  We were excited to get to stay in our new camper and get a little hunting in too!  Jeff was so sweet and let me hunt all weekend.  He and Hayden spent a lot of quality time together.

I got my big girl panties on and went to the stand in the dark by myself every time.  I usually don’t like to go in the dark.  Usually Dad or Jeff drops me off pretty close and I don’t have to go by myself.  But, I did it.  The dark out in the middle of nowhere is not my favorite thing.  I am getting better. 

I was able to hunt Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night, and Sunday morning.  I saw the best deer Friday night right at dark.  Should have taken him, but I didn’t.  I should have learned my lesson by now, but I really hated to do it it the first time I was able to hunt this year.  The first year we were on this lease I saw the best deer I have ever seen on the lease the very first time I hunted it.  Of course, I didn’t take him either.  UHG!  Saturday night, a small 8 point came out right before dark and well, he didn’t live.  He died right where he was standing.  Didn’t move a lick.  I am a good shot you know.  Aww…for all you tree-huggers. ;-)  Hey, I am feeding my family! 

photoNot the best picture.  Taken with my phone in the dark.  But, atleast you can see him.  :-)

When Hayden first saw him, he started petting him and saying “Deer, Deer, Deer”.  Kind of- almost-made me tear up.  Hayden didn’t really think much about it when they were cleaning him. But, he started gagging (from the smell) when Jeff took him into the meat processing place to show him some mounted deer on the wall.  Kind of funny, but poor baby! 

While in the deer stand, I discovered Words with Friends.  I downloaded the app a while ago, but never played with it.  It is basically scrabble with friends or random people.  Quite fun and addicting.  Do you play?  I am not that great, but I am learning!  It kept me entertained in the stand and on the way home.  If you have an iphone, ipad, or ipod, you should try it!!  Let me know if you play so we can challenge each other!

Hayden had  a super fun time at the lease.  He went to the deer stand with Jeff and Dad on Friday night. They didn’t see anything.  Wonder why? 

This was Hayden’s first trip to the stand last year.

1107091627 He played with his animals and barn.

DSC_1007

He ran around outside. 

DSC_1017Funny thing he is doing right now.  He will put his arms in his armpits (walking like a chicken) while walking/running and shaking his booty.  You have to see it, but it is quite hilarious!  

Just for fun I thought I would show you our first deer lease camper. 

DSC_1012 DSC_1013 Jeff and I got this from my Daddy’s long time friend, Jack.  Let me tell you, we were happy to have it.  Better than a tent right?  It is still at the lease.  It is used for storage and someone sleeps in there every once in a while if needed.

We have come a long way.  But, this one will be used for a lot more than the deer lease.  :-)

DSC_1015

We were all happy to get home yesterday afternoon. 5 hours is a long time for Hayden to ride.  Long trips are not his favorite thing.  :-)  Jeff tried to get our satellite working.  No luck.  Hopefully they will come back out and fix it soon.  I have to admit, it doesn’t bother me not to have TV.  We don’t really watch it much anyway. Who has time?  I am so far behind on my favorite shows, I don’t think I will ever catch up! 

DSC_1019 We were so excited to find a package for Hayden when we got home.  Guess what it was?  My cousins Pam and Carla sent The Elf on the Shelf for Hayden.  I am beyond excited and can’t wait to start this tradition in our family.   Now we just need to come up with a name for Mr. Elf.

DSC_1020 If you haven’t heard about The Elf on the Shelf, go here to read more about it!   If you have a young child and don’t have him, you should get him!  :-)  Thanks so much Pam and Carla!!!  Love you both!

We all got a really good nights sleep last night.  Hayden was in bed by 7 and we were in bed by 9 and all slept till 8.  That never happens!  But, I am so thankful for it!  Hayden has already been asleep for an hour now for his morning nap (which are also very rare these days).  That deer hunting wears a boy out! 

I am looking forward to getting the rest of our stuff organized and put away this week.  And, some yummy Thanksgiving dinners!!  We have dinner at my brother’s house on Saturday and at the Smith’s on Sunday.  Maybe we will sneak to my Aunt Barbara’s on Thanksgiving Day! 

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving week.  Oh---are you shopping on Friday??  I can’t wait!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Looks like so much fun! Cracks me up that you like deer hunting so much. Let's play Words With Friends. :) I'm jroubinek.

Kristin said...

So awesome the deer you got!! :)

Love all the pictures from the lease.. Ya'lls trailer is so nice! I told Phil the other day that I want one!! HA!!

Marla has words with friends.... I wish I did but I don't have an iphone! Geoff and Marla both are obsessed with it.. HA!!

Good luck shopping Friday.... I don't plan on going!!

Marla said...

A few things:

Congrats on the deer. I am seriously impressed!

I just started playing words with friends last week and love it. I'd love to play with you! My username is bsn80.

And I got that elf on the shelf last year for Parker but we never opened. I was trying to decide when I'd get it out this year. I am thinking one day this week!

The Barner Bunch said...

I LOVE Elf on the Shelf! We have him too!!! We've named ours Elfvis (like Elvis)! haha
Okay, Hayden walking like a chicken...I've GOT to see that! Hilarious.
Poor thing...gagging at the dead deer smell! Oh well, it will make him TOUGH!
I see he loves playing with his tractor and barn! I knew he would.