Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our World Has Changed



I have known for more than 9 months now that I was going to be a daddy but I thought I still had two more weeks before it would happen. I guess there is no way to really mentally prepare for it so I am really glad it happened quickly. Here's how it went down.

I got home from work at about 3am as usual and Megan said she couldn't sleep. Her blood pressure was so high and I got pretty scared. We called the doctor and they told us to get to the hospital so they could run some tests. Megan thought we would be coming right back home but something told me to get everything we would need for a long stay anyway. I loaded up the car in record time and we both took a shower because hospital visits are never quick. On the drive up to Dallas I couldn't keep any rational thoughts going but I didn't want to worry Megan so I kept them to myself. I know we were both saying our prayers! We made it to the hospital at about 4:45 and they took really good care of us right away. Some of the tests had us and the doctor worried so Dr. Thurston decided it was time for Hayden to get his life started.

I went outside and made all the necessary phone calls to family, friends and work then I almost tossed my cookies in the parking lot. As the nurses and doctors prepared her for a c-section delivery I paced up and down the halls and tried to stay somewhat calm. It didn't help that I had been awake for about 26 hours straight by this time. So they came and got Megan and took her into the delivery room. My instructions were to put on some scrubs and wait. They should have put me in a straight jacket cause I was going nuts! I sat in there and actually wondered if they would forget to come get me for the delivery! They didn't forget about me and off I went to live the greatest experience of my life. Hayden was born at 11:30 and I got to hold him just a few minutes later. I had so many thoughts and wondered at that point how anyone could not believe in God.

Well, I now have even more respect for Megan and I have seen her inside and out, literally. She is such a good woman and will be the best mother ever! Hayden is one day old now. We had a good first full day, I learned to change diapers and swaddle. Megan has been using the little pain button every chance she gets but has been up moving around some which is a really good sign. Hayden seems to be a really good baby and really likes to be held. He is very content but the best part is when I talk to him and he opens his eyes. I am in love with being a Daddy!

We feel so blessed to have such a precious and healthy baby boy!

Jeff
**Thank you Jen for keeping our blog updated!!

4 comments:

The Barner Bunch said...

Ahhh Jeff, you're making me cry!
You and Megan are ALREADY great parents! This is going to be the time of your life. Cherish every moment (I don't think I have to tell you that).
Dude, you're already a pro at changing diapers. You had a wonderful coach (if I do say so myself).
Congrats! You two deserve all the happiness in the world!!!! I love all THREE of you!!!!
Auntie Amy

hawkmom said...

Welcome Hayden Luke!!

I am so glad that everyone is doing well after the early and exciting arrival. At least it will be easy to remember his birthday:)

I can't wait to see pics of Megan holding Hayden. I know that you will be glowing!

Megan and Jeff - enjoy this time. It goes by much too fast.

We will miss you in Rockwall ISD but I am so happy that you get to stay home with Hayden.

Keep posting so everyone can watch precious Hayden grow:)

Jane Bruning

Jennifer said...

How sweet! I wasn't expecting an update from Jeff. I am so sad I can't be there. I love you guys! Can't wait until I can come and love on that sweet baby!

Jen

Kelly said...

What a sweet Daddy story! I am SO happy for the three of you! There is NOTHING better in this world than a new baby. And, I agree, how can people not believe in our Creator after experiencing child birth? Enjoy your little man. Love, Lance, Kelly, and baby Kaden