Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 3 with Hayden


Good Evening from our 5 star hospital room! We like it so much, we decided to stay a fourth night! :-) So much has happened since I blogged with you last! My world has changed so much and I can't even begin to describe the joy I have in my heart! The feelings I have for our new family of three is indescribable! I love my new title of "Mommy"!

Our day today has gone great! We really didn't know if we would be going home today or not, but the doctor told us it was just best for someone else to take care of us for one more day! As much as we are ready to be home, I am so glad we did stay! Hayden's nurse was fantastic today and has helped us so much! We were having trouble with Hayden nursing and getting enough to eat. Two nights ago his blood sugar was low, so we had to give him formula. I was really upset about having to give this to him, but of course we want what is best for him! Then, we started giving him a little formula with every feeding to help supplement until my milk came in. But, he was still hungry and hard to get back to sleep at night. So, the pediatrician came in today and told us we should give him an ounce of formula with feedings and what a difference it has made! So, our feeding routine lasts about an hour each time. Nurse for about 30 minutes, give him a bottle of breast milk that was previously pumped, give him formula, then I pump for 15-20 minutes and save it for next time. We have it down after today and Hayden has been loving it! We are expecting to have a much better night tonight! I think I have averaged about 2 hours of sleep the past three nights and am anxious to perhaps get an hour between feedings tonight!

Jeff has been such a trooper and has helped me so much!! I could hardly wait for the moment I could see Jeff hold his baby boy! Wow...again, a moment that I can't describe. From the moment he saw him coming out of my tummy, to holding him the first time, to changing his first diaper, to becoming a pro at swaddling. He is an amazing Daddy and Hayden has officially "rocked his world"!! Hayden already has his Daddy wrapped around his fingers! (and his Mommy too!)

Hopefully we will get to go home tomorrow morning. We can't wait to get our baby boy home!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hope you get some sleep tonight! I'll call you in the morning. You've made me so tired I'm heading to bed now :)

The Barner Bunch said...

Maybe you can sleep on the car ride home. The more sleep...the better! ha ha
You're already a fantastic mommy (which I never doubted)! I'm so proud of you all!
No worries. That routine will become like clockwork in time (it probably already is).
Best wishes for this week at HOME! I know you'll miss the 5-star hospital...but being home will be WONDERFUL!