Monday, August 29, 2011

Bye, Bye Grasshoppers!

DSC_0087

Have you had an overabundance of grasshoppers?  We sure have!  Goodness!  We always have a lot of them living in the country.   I mean, a whole lot of them.  But I am not sure I have ever seen anything like this year! 

I can’t wait until all the grasshoppers are GONE!  And Hayden doesn’t have so many pets that want to ride along with him!

DSC_0076

Can you see them flying everywhere?

DSC_0058

Because everything is so dry and dead, we are actually seeing a lot less of them right now.  Or, maybe they are running out of things to eat.  DSC_0085

I hear rain will kill them because it causes a fungi that attacks them.  We wouldn’t really know anything about that this year though.  Many areas around us have gotten some “good” rains lately, but unfortunately most of it has somehow missed our house! 

DSC_0088

I have just about pulled everything out of my flowerbeds because the grasshoppers have eaten most of it!  Or, the heat and drought has killed all the plants.  Kind of sad.  I was so proud of our flowerbeds when we finished then in the Spring.  Oh well, there are definitely a lot worse things in life! 

Dad has had to start watering his cows out of troughs. 

DSC_0490

Because most of his ponds look  about like this one behind our house.

pond2 pond1

I have to say, today’s temperatures were a welcomed surprise!  Maybe things will start looking a little better around here soon! 

Oh, and if you aren’t my Facebook friend…I found my first gray hair today.  Very sad day.  

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh that is crazy that pond looks like that now!! I mean to be expected, but still crazy to me!!

And those grasshoppers... yuck... LOL I can't believe Hayden likes them so much!! HAHA

Kristin said...

Oh and a gray hair??? I have had them for years! It's okay!! :)

Dewawn Wiest said...

Those grasshoppers are INSANE! Better you than me...I'd probably just stay inside. Ha!!