Thursday, January 13, 2011

Home Tour Begins {Our Bedroom}

I am so excited to finally begin our home tour.  However, I am a little apprehensive.  I don’t want you to be disappointed in what you see because I have shown a lot of it already.  But, here goes.  We shall begin the home tour with our master bedroom. 

I absolutely love our bedroom.  It is exactly what I imagined it to be.  Big, warm, cozy, and free of clutter!  The first thing I bought for our new bedroom was our red quilt. I fell in love with it when I saw it.  IT WAS KING SIZED!  I loved the color.  I loved how simple it was.  And, I knew I could decorate around it.    What I found out after I bought it was, I really had a hard time finding things to go with it that I loved.  Slowly but surely, it has come together! 

The  next thing we bought was our bedroom furniture.  After the fire, I told myself that our furniture was not something I was willing to settle on.  I wanted nice furniture that I loved and knew would last forever!  And…A KING SIZED BED!  We ended up getting our furniture from Cramer Custom Creations.  He actually lives in Kansas, but comes to Canton.  I absolutely love our furniture! 

If you remember, I had a really hard time finding lamps and shades that I liked.  I mean, I seriously looked for months for that “something” that stood out to me.  I think I was having a hard time because I didn’t know what color of base would look good.  I found several black lamps, but didn’t think that black would look good with the black furniture.  Anyway, I decided on silver bases from Walmart and burlap shades from Target.  I kept the plastic on the shades and the tags on the lamps for a month.  Maybe it took me getting our burlap bed skirt from Dressings (at Canton) and putting it on the bed, to make me decide that the lamps would look ok.  Once I finally decided I was keeping them and took the tags off, I really fell in love with the way they looked. 

Then, my dilemma was our standard size shams that came with our kind size quilt.  Kind of weird.  I bought several different decorative pillows and ended up taking them all back. I finally came across this pillow at Stein Mart and thought it might look good either on the bed or somewhere else in the house.  I put it on the bed and I really liked the way it looked.  It filled that void between the two shams.  I really thought that I might want 3 Euro burlap pillows on the bed, but I really didn’t want to invest the money in something I couldn’t return.  So, for now, I am happy with our one decorative pillow on the bed.  It’s simple and I kind of like it. 

The view from our bathroom…

DSC_0841

There were three different colors of burlap bed skirts.  I went with Tobacco. 

DSC_0846

My side of the bed.  I just happened to find this black frame with a burlap matte at Hobby Lobby. I love it!  I am reading Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson right now.  My friend Amy gave it to me for Christmas and I am just getting started.  I am anxious to read more!  The educator in me has that highlighter holding my place.  I just can’t help it. 

DSC_0853

Another view.  Entering the bedroom.  From this view, I really don’t have much on the walls.  I just haven’t found that perfect something yet.  I would like to do something over the dresser, but I just don’t know what.  A big mirror?  Shutters?  Vinyl?  Hmm…

DSC_0840

DSC_0848

There are a few things on the walls though.   I got that matted frame from Good Samaritans for 50 cents and painted it black.  I already had that beige matte in there.  Perfect!  I got the box sign from LaurieAnna’s Vintage Home in Canton.  You can also find it along with many other signs like it here.  I am eyeing a couple more for Hayden’s room.  I just love them!

I am really thinking I would like a chair of some kind in that open space under that Good Samaritans frame between the outside door and closet door.  I saw a black wicker chair with a crème cushion at an antique store recently that was cheap.  I am so kicking myself for not getting it! 

DSC_0849 DSC_0850

I also recently added this frame I found at Canton.  (What you will soon find out is that I bought 3 more that are different colors and placed them around the house.)  I guess you could say that I LOVE these old ceiling tile frames.   They are about 2 ft x2 ft square. 

DSC_0843

Well, there you have it.  Welcome to our bedroom!  I would love to hear any ideas you might have for the wall our bed is on or the wall above the dresser! 

7 comments:

Marla said...

Not disappointed one bit! It looks SO good! LOVE the furniture, love the frame, the bedding.....everything! It looks so put together and cozy!

I have not suggestions for you for the walls because I have the same problem myself. But I am like you....I have to almost just fall in love with something immediately and just 'know' when I see it that I will like it, you know?

Kelly said...

Finally! It's about time you share! :) Looking great Megan! So happy for you.

Kristin said...

Everything looks great! I love the furniture! Those wall frames are too cute, can't wait to see the other ones!

I think a mirror would look good over the dresser, but, what do I know? HA

Tricia said...

Looks great. Know you are so happy with it after you looked for each piece. I think a mirror over the dresser would be nice, maybe you can find something at Canton. You could also do a vinyl over the bed. I got one for mine, but just have not put it up yet. Can't wait to see more.

Lisa said...

Looks great!! Cannot wait to see more!

cstillwagoner said...

Your bedroom looks great....I am desperate to declutter, but at the moment our little 2 bedroom/1bath house is bursting at the seams. I have so many things stashed that its crazy. Anyways, I find it funny that after I read your post....on a shopping trip to TJ Maxx I saw a cute storage ottoman with a burlap/linen texture. I thought to myself that it would look great in your bedroom. I think that it's comical that I've met you only once, yet in my head I was also decorating your home! We also looking at building on our own little piece of land when we FINALLY sale our home, so keep the tour coming.....I need some really good ideas!

Jamie said...

Megan, we have exactly the same taste! So funny! Love your bedroom. It's beautiful! My vote for the dresser is a mirror or even two that you could put together either side by side or on top of each other.