Sunday, June 20, 2010

House Update 6-19-10

As many of you already know, our house caught fire on Wednesday, June 16th.  Jeff, Hayden, and I were in Gulf Shores, Alabama on vacation with Jeff’s brother and his family and with our friends Matt, Amy, and Barrett.  We had just finished eating dinner when Jeff’s dad called him and gave him the bad news and tried to answer as many of our questions as he could.  Needless to say we were devastated.

Robin spotted smoke coming from our house when she was coming home from work.  She went down to our house to check it out and immediately called Mom and Dad.  Mom called 911 and Dad immediately went into firefighter mode.  He was a firefighter for 30 years.  Dad first pulled the Jetta and Jeff’s truck out and saved them.  We had driven the Tahoe to Alabama.  After he figured out where the fire was coming from, he and Robin started spraying water in the window in the garage.  The window was breaking due to heat when Dad got there.  He knew he needed to keep the air out as much as possible to minimize the actual fire.  Anyway, 7 or 8 firetrucks from three different volunteer fire departments, MANY hard working volunteers, family members, neighbors, and friends, and a few hours later, the fire and smoke was under control.  How do you ever repay these men and women that worked so hard to save our home? 

After we got the call, we drove back to the beach house and tried to patiently wait (Ha!) for updates from our family members about the items that could be saved and we both hoped for the best. The feeling of being so far away from home and feeling so helpless was the worst feeling you can imagine. Jeff called our insurance agent and got him working on a claim then we started making plans to get back home as soon as possible.

We booked a flight out of Mobile, Alabama that left at 6:10 am the next morning. We had to pack some bags, get Hayden’s stuff together and tried to get some sleep but it was a long drive to Mobile so we were back up at 3:00 am to leave.  Jeff’s brother and mom picked us up at DFW Airport and we made the dreaded drive home to look at the damage. When we arrived Jeff had a small break down and took some time to look around and collect himself. Once the initial shock was over we started working on our plan to get back on our feet.

The insurance adjuster and fire investigator both came over that afternoon and they started the process. The investigator did an outstanding job of digging through the mess, putting the pieces together, and finding what he believed to be the cause of the fire. He felt like the dryer in the garage may have had a faulty control panel. When that panel got hot and fell off the dryer it ignited some items that were on the floor of the garage.   Everything in our garage (washer, dryer, gun safe and all its contents,  important documents, furniture, refrigerator, deep freeze, tools, ETC.) is gone. From there the fire spread to the attic and burned everything we had in storage (teaching/work files and books, Christmas/Holiday decor, house decor,  Hayden's baby stuff, furniture, most all our memorabilia, family memoirs, and tons of other stuff).   Thankfully the actual fire didn’t get into the living area of the house.  Although, smoke and water damage in living area was extensive and ruined clothes, carpet, decorations, insulation, Hayden’s toys, bed, furniture, electronics, kitchen items and appliances, and just about everything else you can think of.

Jeff and I have spent the last two days sorting through our property, taking inventory and listing all of the damage. The insurance company has sent a company in to help us with this process.  There are a lot of long days ahead as we rebuild and start over but in the end we will be so much stronger for this.  Right now we are staying with my parents and haven’t made a decision as to where to live until this is done. We would like to thank everyone who has called and offered to help.  We can’t thank you enough for all the prayers and kind words you have expressed.

We are doing as good as possible.  Yes, it is hard.  It’s hard to think about only living there for less than 8 months after putting so much hard work, heart, and soul into building our home.  We have had a few breakdowns, but we are trying to just process it all and stay positive.  We feel so blessed we weren't hurt and are so thankful for what we do have. Luckily, Hayden brings so much sunshine and keeps a smile on our face! 

Here are some pictures of the damage…

The before…

DSC_0410

The after…

DSC_0258

The window blew out…

DSC_0260

They cut holes in the roof to vent the smoke…Jeff always wanted skylights.

DSC_0259

DSC_0262DSC_0263  The safe, washer, and dryer…

  DSC_0261

The culprit…

DSC_0293

The attic…

DSC_0007 DSC_0008

DSC_0009

What’s left of my teaching/asst. principal things…MAKES ME SICK!

DSC_0012

DSC_0020

My baby doll furniture I had growing up…MAKES ME SICK!

DSC_0013

My Granny’s dishes…

DSC_0037

My grandmother’s dishes…

DSC_0032

What’s left of a quilt my mom had just given me…one square.

DSC_0043 

Back of the house…

DSC_0276 

North side of the house…

DSC_0278

The inside of the house…

DSC_0264DSC_0275   DSC_0268 DSC_0273 DSC_0265

Last year’s birthday present…the before…

DSC_0628

The after…

DSC_0338 

DSC_0337

Everyone worked so hard that night and got almost everything out of our house hoping to minimize smoke and water damage.

DSC_0256

DSC_0282

Cracking (drilling, sawing, etc) open the safe…

DSC_0051

So, so, so SAD!

 DSC_0056

Sickening!

DSC_0066

My only gun in the pile…The Remington 700 25-06 mountain rifle with a Leupold scope Dad got me for my 16th birthday.  MAKES ME SICK!

DSC_0060

Lesson to learn…if you have any prized possessions…get a fire proof safe…a GOOD one!  We said we were going to get one many times, but never did.  We will not ever make that mistake again!

On a much lighter note…we had a GREAT time on vacation!  More to come…

DSC_0081

DSC_0103 DSC_0184

9 comments:

Taren said...

Oh Megan, this breaks my heart...I'm speechless and I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this right now. I have been thinking about you

Marla said...

Oh Megan. I could barely muffle through without a tear. Know that we will continue to think of ya'll and pray.

Kelly said...

Oh Megan! I know it has to be so heart sickening to loose all your personal things in storage. I can't even imagine all that school stuff and personal stuff gone. I am so sorry, I can't even imagine. Thankfully though you guys will be able to regroup and rebuild beautifully. I know you will! I loved your little house it all looked so perfect! I'm thinking about you and my heart feels sick when I think about it. Please let me know if I can help you do something! Love you!

The Barner Bunch said...

Megan...I can't even look at these picture without crying, nor think of the loss you've experienced. My heart hurts for you.
I wish I knew of some way to ease your pain.
We will help with the clean-up, watching Hayden, etc.
So sad :(

Whitney said...

Megan-
This brought me to tears, and it just makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sooo sorry! :( This is one of my biggest fears. I can't even imagine.
I'm so glad you guys were away and are all safe. We are thinking about and praying for you guys!

Janis Summers said...

Megan your beach pictures say it all. Family, not stuff, is what makes life good. I feel for you, but it will all work out..just wait and see!! Hugs and love plus prayers are being sent your way.
Janis Summers

Kristin said...

Reading the blog I was in tears and my heart just sinks. I am praying for your family. I can't even imagine what ya'll are going through and to see all of your memorable things that way. It is just horrible!! And yes SICKENING is the best word to describe that. I am so sorry. I've been thinking about you all daily since I heard the news. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

LOVE the family picture of you guys on the beach!! What a great picture!! You look great by the way!!!

Kaci said...

Megan, my heart is breaking for you guys. I just don't even have words. I love you and let me know if we can do ANYTHING to help.

MommyWisdom said...

You don't know me, but I've been reading your blog for a while. Found it through another...
At any rate, I am so sorry, but also so very thankful nobody in your family was hurt. Know that prayers are being sent from Memphis, TN.