Monday, January 25, 2010

What happens when...

What happens when you mix a propane torch, wind, and a special gardener named Jeff?

A GRASS FIRE!!

DSC_0514

"It is getting to be that time of year to start getting your garden ready for some planting. Jeff had this bright idea to "burn" off the grass where we wanted our garden to be (great idea in theory). So, Jeff gets out this propane tank with a "torch lighter" on it and started getting after it. What he didn't expect was the fire to take off across our yard and into Dad's pasture in a matter of seconds. It was pure madness for about 5 minutes. Jeff took off running trying to put it out with his foot, before it got out of control (about 5 seconds). Then, he took off running across our yard trying to get a bucket for water. He tells me to call the fire department. Then he comes running in the house and grabs the broom while I am on the phone with the 911 operator. So, I run back outside and get the water hose (I am holding Hayden all this time) and start "fightin' the fire". Jeff is putting the fire out with the broom in the pasture. We finally get the fire out before the fire department (volunteer) shows up and I called 911 back and told them we didn't need them. Well, one of the volunteer units showed up anyway. If you know our town, you know how exciting it can be for them! I was so embarrassed that we actually lit a fire on a windy day and they had to come. But, I knew they were kind of bummed out when they got to our house and there was no fire to fight. In all seriousness, we are really lucky to have the men and women that volunteer to be on the fire department. They are so happy to help crazy people like us! The guy left saying, "If you need us, call us." Sir, thank you so much, but I sure hope we don't "need" you again!

Poor Jeff was coughing and wheezing the rest of the afternoon. I am not sure if it was from smoke inhalation or from that much running and adrenaline in such a short amount of time.

DSC_0524

The good thing...our garden spot is getting closer to being ready to go. Jeff tilled it up, added new soil and some fresh organic cow poop from the pasture! And...Thankfully, Dad wasn't too mad at us. ;-)

DSC_0523

Needless to say, we are in need of a new broom!

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow that is kind of scary! Glad he could get it out so fast! And glad your garden got closer to where it needs to be! :)

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

I bet your dad-the firefighter would have been so proud seeing you with the waterhose.

I'm starting to think Jeff has a thing with fire...

Kelly said...

Too FUNNY!!!

Melissa said...

So funny! That sounds like something that would happen to us.

Lisa said...

That is funny! I know it may not seem like it but my family (me growing up there) is from a small town and my dad did catch the pasture of fire and we too had to call the fire department :) Those crazy country men.

Jamie said...

Whoa! I best that was so scary! I hope you got a good broom now. :)

The Barner Bunch said...

Oh GEEZ! I'll bet the volunteer fire department was super excited to get a call, put on all their gear, and come out to help SAVE THE DAY!
Dang Jeff! I agree with Jennifer. I think he has developed a "thing" for FIRES!