Friday, October 16, 2009

Daddy's 6 month check-up

I thought it would be fun to do a “Daddy’s 6 Month Check-Up” interview to see Jeff's point of view on how things are going. I thought of a few questions and Jeff agreed to answer them! Jeff says, “Here are my answers peppered with some wisdom and insight rarely found in East Texas.”

Here goes...

What has been the best thing about becoming a Daddy?

Jeff: “The best part is how Hayden recognizes me even in a room full of people. I love to get his attention and see him smile at me. He and I never get tired of each other.”

What has been the greatest challenge about becoming a Daddy?

Jeff: “Not being able to do more. Megan has so much more work to do than me and I don't have as much time to help as I would like. The lack of sleep is a close second.”

It’s hard for those who don’t have kids yet to understand how much your life changes. How have you changed as a person? How has your day to day life changed?

Jeff: “It is hard if you don't have kids. I'm 34 and for years I would complain about my brothers and buddies not having time to hang out with me. Now I completely understand why they didn't have time. I have changed as a person. This whole thing has made me much more sensitive about everything. Work has been much harder as well. I get way too involved in the calls I answer involving small children. The biggest "day to day" change has been time management. Before April 15, I woke up with no game plan at all! Now, I try to juggle my Daddy Duty with other stuff and fit it all into a specific time frame and then try not to feel guilty if something gets put aside for another day.”

It seems like as new parents, we worry a lot! What are your worries right now?

Jeff: “A wise man once said something to the effect of, "Fear is simply the unknown". The unknown is my greatest fear. Is Hayden going to get sick, is he going to be smart, are we going to have problems with his temper like I had with mine? I could care less if Hayden turns out to be super rich or famous. My goal is for him to be a productive, polite and understanding man. Anyone that knows me knows that I can worry for days about something very small. I want to do my best to make sure Hayden does not have that mind set. He must learn to be strong and outgoing.”

How has your relationship with your wife changed?

Jeff: “What relationship? Just kidding. I think if it has it has been for the better. Megan and I have been close from the start going all the way back to our first date. What I mean by that is she and I have always been on the same page with our goals. I think Hayden just completed the team and has made us work harder together. I know he has made us better people in general.”

What are you looking forward to in the coming months?

Jeff: “I saw a small child on TV last night that was sitting up and crawling. It was just some commercial but I thought, "MAN! I can't wait for Hayden to do that!" Also, Christmas really didn't mean that much to me in the past, just a reason to spend money and all. Now I can't wait for him to open the gifts and play more with the wrapping paper than the toys.”

What advice do you have for a first time Daddy?

Jeff: “Advise for a first time Daddy: There is no way to prepare for what is about to happen to you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Learn to let the small stuff go, don't start arguments because you will be too tired to win them and that will make you look like an idiot. Get in the habit of buying 5 Hour Energy in the big box because it's much cheaper in bulk (try Sam's and Wal Mart). Learn to be really silly because there isn't anything much better than making your baby laugh. That sound will melt away a whole lot of stress. Make a promise to your child and keep it. What you promise is your business, just keep it. Lastly, your child is the second most precious gift God will give you. Your salvation is the first. Make sure you give your child every opportunity to latch on the most important and precious gift God gives....Salvation.”


Thanks Baby for taking the time to do this! You are an amazing Daddy to our son! I am so lucky to have you! I love you!
~Megan

6 comments:

Kristin said...

That was great! I enjoyed reading that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, my baby brother has grown into such a wonderful and smart man. Im so proud of him and love you all so much!!!! Yolanda.

Jamie said...

What a great idea! So sweet!

Jennifer said...

This is a great idea! I'll have to do this soon!

Marla said...

Good questions with good answers. This is such a neat idea and I enjoyed reading!

The Barner Bunch said...

Good answers Jeff! I love it. Before kids, I thought "parents" were over dramatic and boring. Now, I'm right there with them.
You CHANGE for sure...but only for the better!
We miss you all! Please don't ditch us as friends just yet.
We'll make it out there soon!