Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The 3 Day Experience!











November 7-9, my best friend Jennifer and I participated in the Breast Cancer 3 Day. I was truly amazed by the generosity of my friends and family. They gave to a cause that is so close to my heart. Although my mom continues to bravely fight liver cancer and diabetes, she is a 17 year breast cancer survivor. My Aunt Mary Helen (on my dad's side) is also a 17 year survivor. My mother in law is a 10 year survivor. Most recently, a teacher at my school was diagnosed with breast cancer. So, as you can see, this experience meant the world to me!

Our adventure began the Thursday night before. Our friends Matt and Amy graciously let us stay at their home in Wylie because we had to be at South Fork Ranch between 5:30 and 6:00 AM on Friday morning. It was so nice to hang out and laugh until we almost had accidents. :-)Sweet Matt got up super early to take us. He even fought the crazy traffic to bring back my hat I left in the car. (Thanks Matt!!)

Jen and I walked 30 of the 60 miles. Jen was so supportive of me being 15 weeks pregnant! She had no shame in taking the SAG bus when I just couldn't walk any more. The first day was our longest day and I was really sore! I was having a lot of pain in my tailbone. So Jen suggested we go to the "medical tent". What an experience. I think they freaked out a little bit when they found out I was pregnant and had high blood pressure. They took my blood pressure 4 times (sitting, laying down, standing up, etc.) Seriously, my blood pressure was great. We were thinking, can you please just give me a massage, stretch my back or something? So, finally after 30 minute of evaluation, they determined I was just sore. REALLY?? I could have told you that! So, we got a sweet chiropractor girl to work on us and bring a little "life" into our body. We figured out quickly that she was as sweet as could be but EARTHY!!! We laughed about this experience all weekend.

Camping was a little rough on the pregnant girl! But, we survived! We stayed warm and that was most important!

I was so grateful that my mom, my niece, and Jennifer's mom and daughter were able to meet at us one of our cheering stations on Saturday. I was so happy to see them and so glad mom got experience the 3 day as well!

Overall, it was an incredible experience I will never forget! I will definitely consider doing it again!

I can't thank you enough for your generous donations and your encouraging notes. Overall, the 2008 Dallas 3-Day raised over 7.9 million dollars.

Jen, thank you for being such an amazing friend. I couldn't have made it without you. I will treasure the time we had together forever.
Remember...Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

No comments: