Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garden TLC

Last week I told you that our garden needed some TLC.  My “want to” was lacking until this weekend.  :-) Jeff went between the rows with the little electric tiller.  It worked pretty good.  I worked on getting the grass out of the rows and I was SORE from hoeing (don’t laugh) and pulling grass!  So, here is the before…

DSC_0626

Pretty sad looking.  You can’t tell the grass and weeds from the plants!  So, we worked on it off and off all weekend.  We had this precious little helper that wouldn’t keep his hat on!  I even tried his swimming hat that ties under his chin and that didn’t work either!

DSC_0627

Finally Sunday night, it looked a little more like a garden!

DSC_0637

Going from left to right…

Peppers, Corn, Corn, Tomatoes and Okra, Cantaloupe, Squash, Cucumbers

Our peppers are looking pretty good. 

Corn is looking ok.  

DSC_0642

Tomatoes are looking good.   Jeff put our cages up and some black cloth and mulch to try to limit the amount of weeds coming up around them.

DSC_0639

Okra is looking ok.  Cantaloupe…I wish it was better!  I think we only have two plants that have popped out.  We are thinking about planting a few more.  Squash and cucumbers are starting to look pretty good.

DSC_0640 DSC_0641

We can’t forget about our strawberries…

DSC_0643

Can’t wait to get some fresh veggies!  Hopefully I haven’t bored you to tears! 

4 comments:

Kristin said...

That is so cool!! I wish we could so that!!

Kelly said...

We have a garden, too! I HAVE to weed also. It gets out of control SO fast! We have pretty well planted Everything you can think of b/c my husband made about a 50 ft X 100ft garden!!! Lots of rows. Looking forward to this rain! Maybe we'll have to go into the fresh produce business! :)

Lisa said...

That is very cool. Bret and I have always wanted our own garden.

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to eat your garden :) I can't have one since I'll be gone so much this summer, but I'm sure you'll share with us :)