Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mom Update 1-27-10

We have gone to see Mom (and Dad) a couple of times this week. She is getting up to eat meals and walked down the hallway yesterday. She did not do her physical therapy today because she was experiencing some back pain. They changed her bed to one that won't "settle" as much, so maybe that will help!

They have tried taking her off of her oxygen, but were not successful. They have however decreased the liters she is on. When she was home, she was on 2.5 liters. Right now she is on 1 liter. Hopefully with time, she will not need the oxygen.

She continues to loose weight each day, which at this point is good. But, she still isn't eating too much. We did finally figure out that a baked potato sounded good to her, so she had that both yesterday and today. She pretty much turns her nose up at the food they bring her. I don't think anything really tastes like it did before to her. I have read that it is quite common to have a depressed appetite after this surgery even with foods they might have previously liked and especially with meats.

I have also read that it is common to have the temporary "memory loss" and it can take up to a year to get back to "normal". I have talked to her on the phone a few times this week, so that is an improvement! She can actually hold somewhat of a conversation. :-)

I know it is also common to experience a range of emotions. I just feel so bad for her! She has gone through so much lately. I miss really getting to talk to her every day (maybe several times a day). I will never ever take that for granted! Even though we see her several times a week, I hate that she is really missing out on Hayden growing and changing so much.

Yall, I can't wait to have my Momma back! I miss her!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I bet you really do miss having your mom the way she was before. I know this has to be so hard for you but I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better. Keeping you and your mom in my prayers.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad she's progressing. I know you miss her. Love you friend!

The Barner Bunch said...

I so glad she is up and doing so much better!
Before you know it, she will be home and you can stroll your new jogger over to her house for a visit!